Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, August 26, 2023

END OF SUMMER BRINGS AN ABUNDANCE OF FRUIT AND VEGGIES-WHAT I DID WITH PEACHES AND TOMATOES

 I used to do lots of preserves and jams. I felt the urge to do something.

So buying 25 lbs of tomatoes I decided to put down some bags to use in my sauce during the year.

I even had one with a thumbs up.
Left the tomatoes for a couple of days to they could ripen some more. Washed them.
With big freezer bags I put 5bags in the freezer. I usually use 5-8 tomatoes in my sauce. I cook them a little and peel off the skins before putting them in my slow cooker. So with passata and the other ingredients the tomatoes add some fiber and texture.

Then so many peaches available. So making a little batch of peach jam.
Fresh Ontario peaches from the Niagara area. Used 8 peaches.


Peel the skin and chopped them up in small pieces.

4 cups of fruit to 2 cups of sugar. Added some fresh lemon juice with a pinch of cinnamon.

Sterilized the jars with boiled hot water.

One large jar.

My large jar with one small one. The cinnamon made the jam a darker colour.

I tested some jam with a piece of toast. Lots of flavour.

Two jars are enough for this single person.

So a little preparation for winter when fresh fruit and veggies cost a fortune.

I used to make grape jam for Adolph. That was a labour of love as grape jam is more labour intensive.

#tomatoes#peaches#makingpeachjam#puttingtomatoesinthefreezerforsauce#preservesalittleatatime#Ilovepeachjame#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro

No comments:

Post a Comment