Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, October 24, 2022

BARB'S GENEALOGY TIDBITS-FINDING LOST CHILDREN- IS IT WORTH THE COST?

I watched a documentary on researchers trying to locate and find what happened to children who had attended residential school and did not come home.

The lead project research Katherine Nichols for the Sioux Valley Dakota Nation has been combing records and potential sites. Tedious but hoping to continue to find names.

Buried.?

Lost?

Would it help the descendants to know?

It made me think about our genealogical pursuits of unknown ancestors.

The industry around genealogy.

The companies.

I reflected on a baby death in the family. Mary Margaret Alton died within a week and supposed to be buried in Valentia.

Or somewhere else in Mariposa Township.

I know what happened to her. The parents knew.

I want to find her burial site. So I can add it to the family records.

Then it made me think about communities who do not know what happened to the children. The survivors know a little. But nothing definitive.

So yes it is important to find the graves. The names. Comb the records. 

If my family history is important to me then I need to respect that it is important to all communities that care to seek answers.

#searchingforanswers#tryingtofindthelostchildren#whathappenedtothosechildren#barb'sgenealogytidbits#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro


No comments:

Post a Comment