Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, July 7, 2017

SOLO ACTIVITIES-DO YOU ENJOY YOUR OWN COMPANY?

I love being married, don't get me wrong. But there are many times that interests vary and it is more enjoyable to go to an activity alone. Like last year's quilt show. Adolph would have been bored. So I find events that interest me and away I go. The Jazz in the Plaza series locally on Tuesday nights has started again. Two hours of live music then hubbie picks me up at the little strip plaza across the street. I was told once by a young niece, what a loser for going to a movie alone. Only losers do not have someone with them. Really, perhaps the opposite is true. To be afraid to be alone or to go to a function alone, is a sign of what. Not enjoying one's own company.
The first time I travelled by myself- I was 11. I took a trip to see family in Edmonton. So the beginning of trusting my own company. My mother even let me go to the dentist alone at 10 but that is another story.
Yes people can be alone in their own homes and get things done. But travelling, dining out or going to a movie alone takes a willingness to like oneself. Why stay home? Of course there is take out or home delivery when eating alone that works too.
There is also the realization as one ages that the partner may no longer function as well or even pass away. Adolph and I have these discussions as we are aging. One of us may end up alone without the other. So does life end if one loses a partner. No, but being willing to carry on and enjoy life is good too. So having together and separate interests allows for personal growth and satisfaction. Alone time, couple time, family time and friend time is always a good way to continue to enjoy the wonderful things that life brings to the table.
Enjoying one's company does mean that enjoying others can be had too! Why I like my own company? Because I do not say anything that bugs me nor do I have to placate any discussion that is annoying. I can have my own opinion and well keep it to myself. I do not get questioned nor evaluated. For example, do people really need to comment on what I am wearing. I like to match my clothes and wear as little black as possible year round. I like colours. Is it an old foggy thing? Sometimes when I get- you are so colourfu! Oh your clothes match! I wonder. So if alone, and you do not know me I do not need to hear anything positive or negative. Enjoying my own company means I need no validation, no compliments, no negative interference. Yes I can observe the world, the couples, the friends and the so called friends that start to gossip as soon as someone leaves their group. I could do a study on group behaviour but I will not because well I am enjoying the event and my own company! How about you? What do you think? Do you enjoy your own company? When do you like to be with others?

1 comment:

  1. I've never been afraid to be home alone with the mutts ... even if I need help, it's only a phone call away ... but I also like to be with others, especially my kids and their kids

    ReplyDelete