Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, June 18, 2014

NANA SAYS SUMMER IS COMING-ARE YOU READY?

With summer quickly approaching, parents have been busy with the June activities as well as gearing up for plans for the children. Being ahead of children's laments- I'm bored, there is nothing to do- can be challenging over the next couple of months. Time to accommodate skills like taking little ones to the beach or pool to practice swimming skills. Family bike rides. If lucky to be camping or at a cottage or lodge- time to learn that great Canadian skill- canoeing. Or rowing a boat! Water skiing can be the new skill acquired in the summer. Setting some goals for children with a reward at the end. Sounds a little like a bribe- well if it works use it. The old fashioned summer reading programme. Set an appropriate limit. "If you read 5 books then you get the reward the end of August!" A pretty summer journal to write down activities, thoughts, doodles etc can be fun for children. Especially on long car rides. I use a hard cover journal book, keeping it on my lap to record ideas, names of places, things I see on my road trips or even day trips. A large pen or pencil for children so they can write big on the pages works. What skill are you teaching-observation? Oh yes they could be glued to their favourite gadget and avoid looking out the window, but as parents it could be encouraged to use some opportunities to look and form some ideas and opinions outside of social media! I was discussing with one of my daughters about how unenjoyable summer was when they were little for the various reasons discussed. The pressure of the cost for camp, classes, taking vacation to be with my kids- two months or 8 or 9 weeks is a long time to try to keep children occupied and safe. I did buy summer activity books too that were fun to do with them. Use walks and picnics as a time to use natural items. Even on my walks home from work I have been collecting some nice size pine cones to use for summer crafts with the grandchildren. If not used they can be put in the barbecue fireplace in the Fall or saved for Christmas. Routine activities are good. Like every Wednesday you go to the Library to take out some books. Thursday is Ice Cream day- as examples. If home with the children for any period of time- household chores or some gardening to teach the skills of self reliance. Of course if your children are receiving an allowance- a little monetary incentive goes a long way. Have an item they want to purchase or have you purchase but let them save for it with the money from the paid activities. Another lesson-the value of earning money and how difficult it can be. The most important suggestion is to sit back and enjoy the time with your children. Life goes rapidly by and trying to create memories are good. Go to the same things every year and take that changing picture. I have some of my girls at one of my favourite places The Toronto Zoo. The panda picture from the 1980s is precious. I want to go with them now and take another picture with them at the Panda sign. Another favourite annual trip was to Black Creek Pioneer Village. So do the same things over and over each year as favourite family events. Those country fairs or large ones like the Canadian National Exhibition can be annual events. The local Canada Day celebrations are always good and inexpensive for everyone. I remember wanting to take the girls to the Fire works in their teens and they reluctantly came but discovered all their other teenage acquaintances were there- so it was cool to be there. For me remembering the lamenting of boredom does come to mind but I also remember some really good times. Like the time I took my girls- preteen with two friends to a rented cottage on Lake Simcoe and could be Mommy for a week with Adolph coming up midweek and on the weekend. My little rubber inflated row boat  with two people paddling in it was tons of fun. Summer can be a dirty word or a great word for parents. Planning activities that you too will enjoy rather than just tag along will make life more exciting and enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment