Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, June 10, 2014

MULTI MEDIA RENAISSANCE WOMAN

Due to the influx of the smart phone, many people especially young ones try to say there is no need for other media devices. Even yesterday someone said there is no need to have a TV anymore due to the ability to watch shows on a device. It made me think- well I am a multimedia person. I use most devices- TV, radio, land line phone, cell phone and a real camera. Yes I know one can take pictures on their cell phone but for the real photographers of the world they are nice casual shots like the old Brownie Instamatic camera  used to take. Okay for those average family shots but not professional level. As for watching any show on a cell phone- well I like my modern flat screen TV. If I had the money for a larger house  for a  theatre screen, I would have that too. The radio in the car or a boom box playing while I work in the garden works for me. I have a CD player that I use to play my favourite CDs when working  on projects or doing housework. Yes I like to buy new CDs occasionally. Uploading and sorting is okay but there is nothing like have the whole collection of a favourite singer's songs and well singing or dancing along! I have a dual VHS and DVD player so I can watch any of my collection of movies or home movies when I like. Even bought some children's VHS tapes at a flea market that my modern grandchildren love watching. In case we are at a picnic or a cottage without electricity the battery operated boom box comes in handy and the music tapes can be played as well as accessing a news channel. Yes I upload pictures from my memory card to my computer but I also like to print some as well and put them in a real album. It is hard to view the 200 vacation pictures of someone on their little cell phone screen no matter how advanced it is. Besides aren't the slide shows on the computer just like the slide shows that everyone had to endure as a child? Visiting family and having to watch the slide show! How many pictures of a family eating or standing by famous landmarks do we need to see? Have you noticed that no matter how modern the pictures look they are just like the ones your grandparents took? I have two little transistors battery operated radios with my emergency stuff. They have come in handy during power outages. Sometimes the overload on the cell phone towers crashes those systems. Even the old fashioned ham radio operators can be necessary in emergencies as it has been seen in Eastern Canada and United States during power outages! So what's my point? Well with age comes lots of smiling as the latest gadget gets heralded as "the bee all and end all"!  I don't throw out my old gadget when a new one arrives. Old TVs and computers have gone to recycling centres however! I am not a hoarder! Oh yes I am not one of those people with a phone in my hand doing the average 200 plus textes that people do on a daily basis or checking and checking their phones. I actually pay attention to my environment and the people around me. No media device needed for that! Yes I read real books and newspapers as well as access information from the Internet. Guess what- most of the devices used can fit in a corner of my house or if you live in an apartment would fit there too.  I like to call myself a Multi Media Renaissance Woman! Modern with a flair for what works in my world! Does anyone really have to be stuck with one device?

No comments:

Post a Comment