Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, November 10, 2013

ENGLISH CEMETERY IN CASSINO ITALY-REMEMBERING OUR CANADIANS

The Cassino area has several cemeteries honouring those who died in World War Two. The English cemetery otherwise known as the British Commonwealth cemetery is in the Commune of Cassino, Province of Frosinone, Italy. There are grave markers of 4265 British Commonwealth Forces, 855 Canadians are buried there. On the Monuments by the pond area with 4,054 names who do not have an individual grave 194 Canadians can be found. Monte Cassino Monastery overlooks the cemetery. The history of the battles from 1944 is well recorded and analysed. For me this cemetery represents a piece of Canada . Married to an Italian born Canadian-Adolph, I had always heard about the area and his hometown. When I visited the cemetery in 1991, I came away feeling that a part of Canada will always belong there. In the weeks leading up to Remembrance Day, I always ask the Veterans selling poppies what campaign they fought. If it was the Italian campaign I always mention my visit to Cassino. I am sure the memories of lost comrades in arms never leave them. I feel to remember keeps me humble today! Have you visited a war cemetery? What were your feelings?

No comments:

Post a Comment