Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, November 26, 2013

DECORATING THE HOUSE FOR CHRISTMAS IS LOTS OF WORK

Decorating for the Christmas season can begin as early as you want. Some people have their homes decorated mid-November. Others have specific times to start. My house always was decorated after my daughter's birthday in late November. I did not want Christmas to interfere with her birthday. I have lots of decorations and enough tree ornaments for several Christmas trees. So I do not put all my stuff out every year now. My living room is my Santa room so all the big Santas are displayed but not all the little Santa items. Several years ago, I discovered my grandchildren liked to play with them all, rearranging all my displays. So I leave the little things packed away. I put the coloured stacking boxes for the children to have some fun along with the Hallmark singing displays accumulated over the years. My winding staircase only houses some lights now as the green garland used for years is packed away too. The year there was a family wedding in January, decorating was reduced as well. Even with just putting out the larger items, the work is there along with the acquired items of decades. It takes energy to decorate and of course time! So big things fill up spaces if this year does not bring enthusiasm for you! Less can be more! Of course a well decorated Christmas tree fills a big space. For me, I buy a real one about 10 days before Christmas and it comes down New Year's Day! Spacing out the Christmas activites helps with the stress of the season. Giving time to do what needs to be done helps! Sometimes let's admit it-everyone needs a break from the hoopla of the season. When the house is finally decorated, it can be enjoyed. Looking at bins of things can not! So if you must decorate a little at a time due to time constraints, have a spot where your stuff can go until it goes up in the house. Coming home from work to a mess can be discouraging! Plug away at it and it will be done! Don't be afaid to leave some things tucked away! Wanting to try a new look can be too! It is okay to be tired of the same old things! So how is your decorating coming along?

1 comment:

  1. I remember Christmas at Musselmans Lake, going across a frozen pond to cut down a tree and drag it back home for setting up and decorating. Also, stockings filled with candy and fruit (no coal!).

    ReplyDelete