Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, July 9, 2010

THE WISDOM OF GRANDPARENTS

Some wise person said- grandchildren are the reason we had children. To be able to experience the joy of a new baby again, watch a toddler touch everything in its path, marvel at the language development between one year and two years and it just goes on, has been a blessing in my life.
To see my children and spouses blossom into parenthood with such love continues to amaze me. With it comes the awareness of how much experience grandparents have that can be tapped by the new generation of parents. My children have asked for guidance- it has been given but with the understanding I am the grandparent and not the parent. Knowing the different phases and stages will pass and each child will move to the next one, brings patience. The first time I was called Nana was so moving for me.
Are you a grandparent? What have you learnt about yourself? Do you have thoughts to share about your grandchildren? I hope to use grandparenting as one of my recurrent themes. So feel free to share or suggest ideas. In my career, there have been times I have conducted family therapy sessions, so can work with many problem situations you may be experiencing or guide you to the relevant resource. Or you may just want to tell a whimsical story!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Barb:
    Just thought I would post a comment on your new blog. I really enjoy reading what you have written.
    I think being a grandparent is the greatest thing in a person'life.
    I can remember back 15 yrs. ago when my daughter called me on Mother's Day and informed me that I was going to be a Grandmother by Christmas. That was the best present any Mother could get on Mother's Day. I was going through a very difficult time in my life at that time, with splitting up with my husband, so that news gave me a new outlook on life. James Gregory Walsh was born on Dec. 24th that year, and will be 15 this year. He is my pride and joy, he was my usher at my wedding to Reed.
    My two other grandchildren, 3 and 2, are very special too. They love their Papa Reed, always wanting to go to Papa Reed's house, not Nanny' s house. LOL Nanny's house has a freezer in the basement full of cookies, but Papa Reed's house has the fun time playing. They think the world of Papa Reed as he does them, just like he loves his own grandchildren. Every time they come to town, and go pass our house, they want to come in and see Papa Reed and get cookies. LOL If they don't drop in, they have to listen to tears in the back seat. LOL
    As you can see, we love our grandchildren dearly, both mine and Reed's.
    We are looking forward to seeing Hunter and Victoria in another week, it has been much too long since our last visit.
    Have a great day, Barb and our regards to your family. Someday I look forward to meeting you guys in person.
    Edna

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I became a grandfather, I was given a new name: Papa! I treasure the name as I treasure my growing number of grand-kids. Happiness is ...

    ReplyDelete