Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A NEW NORMAL

Normal can be boring until something changes in our life when we crave for normal.
During a recent sleepover with my granddaughter at my house, we had fun counting the number of airplanes that go over the house on the route to Pearson Airport- the red eyes from the west from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m., the afternoon flights from Europe mid-afternoon to the south and more airplanes from the west, south last afternoon and into the evening.Helped her counting and learning to pay attention to the world around us. I love the sound of the planes going over my house. Why? After that fateful day September 11, 2001 when the whole aviation system in North America shut down, it became very eery with no sound of planes for the days following it. I recall the day when I was putting out the garbage and the first plane flew over the house as the aviation system was booting up, saying to myself things are back to normal. It was a new normal. The sound of planes gearing down to land miles away are a certain music to my ears now. What might be your new normal? What normal things bring music to your ears? What would you miss if it changed?

1 comment:

  1. Normal? Is there such a thing? I think of my own life and wonder if I've ever experienced it. None of the major events of my life that I look back on seem to be 'normal' for the rest of society. Nor do many of my past or current interests. Sometimes, I wish I had led a normal life and done normal things. But, then, if I had, I wouldn't be who I am or where I am. It makes you think.

    ReplyDelete