Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, July 11, 2010

GENEALOGY-LOVE OF FAMILY

One of my passions for many years has been the research and pursuit of my own family history, otherwise known as genealogy. With the computer age, researching has become
a more enjoyable process. Instead of sitting in front of a microfiche machine at the library to review census tracts for hours and maybe finding one significant piece of information, for example, one can search many names on the automated services and make connections. Cousin lines become less cumbersome to complete. There are still errors like spelling mistakes in the documents as hand writing from original documents can be difficult to decipher. Relevant texts can be found in the appropriate library by online catalogues so there are not wasted trips trying to find books. What has not changed is the connecting the dots, really the detective work, by methodically going through each generation. Friends are made with others searching the same names. "I share with you and you share with me is the genealogical code." Always give credit where credit is due. Sometimes I can find myself lost in a different time when I am busy researching, writing, trying to figure out another possible way of finding some information on that great-great-great-great grandmother.
Our interests can shape us, offer stress release- even be therapeutic and sometimes provide an opportunity for a second job. Genealogy will be one of my recurring theme here.
What are your interests? Do you have a passion for something that brings satisfaction to you?
Do you blend your interests together?

1 comment:

  1. Two bean pods on a vine. Seems like a great analogy to a portion of the family tree. I wonder who these two represent? With me, I blend my passion for photography with my love of the natural world whenever I can. I include everything from patterns in the the sand to people in my definition of the natural world. Combining these interests gives me an endless opportunity to keep learning.

    ReplyDelete