Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, September 22, 2013

SCUGOG CARRYING PLACE-AN IMPORTANT PIECE OF ONTARIO HISTORY


This book was written quite recently and targets an area in Ontario history that predates the White Man. Frost in his book- Forgotten pathways of the Trent did discuss the Scugog Carrying Place. I have used the reference in my Ball Point articles. Karcich dissects all aspects. So what is the Scugog Carrying Place you ask! Basically it is a trail from Lake Ontario- Oshawa area that weaves and meanders up to Lake Simcoe. It was established as a route sort of like a modern highway. In the Toronto area there was also the Humber Carrying Place. If you really like history and especially Canadian History it is a good book to have as a reference. For me there are several references to Ball Point- that family property full of history. What I love is Karcich was able to get the notes from the Royal Ontario Museum on the archeological digs at Ball Point and Washburn Island across from Ball Point in the early 1050s. All I got was a letter saying the notes were too messy and would not be of much help. Of course, the Scugog Carrying Place did go by Ball Point. It is available from Dundurn Press or through Indigo/Chapters and can be ordered online. With lots of Postits, I can mark the releveant points for my writing. Canadian history is not dull! There is always something new to learn!

1 comment:

  1. What Ballpoint articles have you written? Can you email copies to me? I'd love to read them!

    ReplyDelete