Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, May 30, 2013

IS VANITY A SIN?

Or just human nature? Do we care more about our looks than our health? With critical health decisions such as breast cancer, some women opt for the saving of the breast with a lumpectomy or minimal surgery rather than a full mastectomy that may save problems down the road. Not everyone thinks Angeline Jolie did the right thing-she was being preventative, chosing longevity. The new ostomy-- the bag that rests the colon and often gives life is not necessarily welcomed as a life saver. Yes critical health issues can be devastating but the surgical interventions give life! For some it is not good enough as the appearance has changed. The elderly person refusing to wear a hearing aid as it would make him/her look old!! Consider the number of very young women using botox and getting their lids done- cosmetic surgery has skyrocketed. In some cultures, a nose job is a must- heaven forbid anyone has a natural nose. Vanity- where does it come from and where does it start! So I have wrinkles and my hands look like hands of an aging person. Yes I like to dress nicely but life brings changes and one of these changes is the body! Would I be so vane to change looks over a life saving procedure? Would you? Would your life be over if you had to face such a decision? Who is really looking at you? If a man whistles at a woman, he has probably whistled at several others during the day. Your loved one should love you for more than your looks. If you are just a trophy wife or a trophy husband than it is just vanity. Has vanity caused more problems than it is worth? Can we be a little vane and still be sane? For some like I feel, vanity is put aside for other factors such as good health, feeling loved, creativity, and just the joy of having an ordinary life! However, it can be difficult to be around vane people day in and day out. Is it fair for me to label them vane? It helps as it allows me to distance myself from those qualities. I can accept the person as he/she is without needing to judge. I make the decision to feel good about myself even with gravity affecting my parts. Otherwise, I can be the wise woman- knowing aging is better than the alternative! There is still so much to do and to love in life! Vanity-an interesting word and concept! But is it a sin or just human nature- look at Helen of Troy or Cleopatra!

1 comment:

  1. Spell-checker ... don't you just love the way it changes vain to vane?! Makes for interesting sentences. But, maybe, I'm just being a vane person?!

    ReplyDelete