Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, August 2, 2010

THE ART IN OUR LIVES

Without art the world would be a different place. From the caveman days with primitve art to modern times, art surrounds us. Art galleries hold each country's treasures. I gravitate to art that holds some meaning. Paul Peel (1860-1892) a well known Canadian artist won an award for his AFTER THE BATH in 1890. It is one of my favourite paintings with the two girls drying themselves by the fireplace after their bath. Two girls-two daughters! A reproduction of his painting has hung on their bathroom wall since they were small. The original hangs in the Art Gallery of Ontario.
Art is also used in therapy as a process. The end result is secondary. Art as a product has individuals making money off new artists- hold onto their works, it may be valuable some day!
Gainsborough is another artist whose works I find interesting. THE MORNING WALK is meaningful to me, I really do not know why- I just like it. It has been reproduced on many items. I have a cookie tin with its picture. Contains some of my keepsakes.
Children love to draw from a young age. Those early scribbles to finger painting to real images help families tell their stories through creative endeavors. How many walls, fridges, and bulletin boards hold cherished treasures from little hands.
What art soothes you? Do you have favourite artists? Do you dabble in art? What medium? Art is more than paintings. It can be found everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment