Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, April 20, 2020

COVID-19 AND MAKING A FACE MASK

Proper masks are the best. But trying to keep supplies for Health Care Professionals caring for patients is our first priority.

So not having any masks, I decided to make some homemade ones.





These are sewed by hand. I was going to set up my machine that I have had trouble with the proper tension that I thought while I watched a movie or show just as easy to hand sew.

I used thick flannel material with some fusing inside.

The first were 6 inches by 9 inches. Two pieces of material and fusing. 1/4 inch elastic or make tubing or use something for ties. I tried different sizes. I made two small ones for the two youngest grandchildren. They will not be going out anywhere but I thought to help with the situation of seeing a mask as a good thing.

I used the pattern from the Missouri Quilt Company. Jennie has a tutorial there that is easy to follow.

Missouri Quilt Company

There are other designs.

National Quilting Circle had another design. It would be best to use a machine for it.

National Quilting Circle

I tried making the folding ones but they did not work for me.

I have worn the mask a few times when out on my very infrequent outings. I am staying close to home or in home from one week to the next.

Remember not to touch the front of the mask. Take it off from one side to the next, folding the front into each other. Into the wash as they are washable. I then hang then over the floor vent to get heat. Is heat something that kills germs and the virus?? Don't know but worth the try!!

There is lots of written literature about the effectiveness of homemade mask.

My feeling- better than nothing. Nose and mouth covered

I have ordered some masks from a local health care provision company- Age Comfort.
The box of 50 blue masks will be shared with my family groups so we all have some. I was able to order some heavy duty ones too.

With a severely chronically ill person in the home, I thought it wise to have them handy for any health care people that come to our home.

But good hand washing is the best at all times.
What kind of masks do you have for yourself and your family?
#stayathome#covid19#masksforcovid19#homemademasks#propermasksarebetter#keepingmasksforhealthcareproviders#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro#gettingthroughcovid19#covid-19




No comments:

Post a Comment