Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, April 29, 2017

HOW TO STAY MARRIED TO THE ONE YOU LOVE

About to celebrate 46 years of marriage, a colleague asked how I did it. Basically be yourself-stay an individual. Then be a couple. Then be a family. She asked did you always know it. I said yes. Taking time to stay connected to oneself is so important. You must understand, my husband does not like most of my interests. So I would have not been able to have a full life. Being able to do things alone. Yes alone is so important. I love genealogy- he tolerates it. I love shopping- he does not unless it is food and then he is happy. I rarely grocery shop with him because he is always so critical of what I buy. So I do some food shopping but the stuff he does not buy. We garden but different aspects. He likes to grow the vegetables but I do other parts of the garden- like the flowers and weeding. Due to his health issues, he has no desire to travel anymore. He says he wants his bed. So day trips it is. Maybe I can convince him to do an overnight! So how to have a full life. Well dinners out or lunches or breakfasts work! Time with the grandchildren work too. A day at the beach, the park, a movie work in small doses. As my life is changing, planning for a holiday alone is on the agenda. I am not tired of travel. But he is! So like other aspects of life, marriage changes as it goes along! Then my girls said Mom I will go with you so maybe the dynamics of travel will change. A girls' trip somewhere!

1 comment: