Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, January 29, 2024

ANYTHING YOU CAN DO I HAVE DONE BETTER-TIRED OF HEARING THIS, WELL I AM TOO-BE AN ACTIVE LISTENER

 How many times do you share a story?

An event?

And just want to share it when someone pipes up with I have done that and better.

Active listening means to hear the person's story. Not to jump in with your story.

For example ,I went to an FC game a couple of years ago for the first time. I love the jumping fans. Thought it was so special for me. Well didn't the person I was telling have to say, we went all the time. We had season tickets. Whatever!

Each person's experience belongs to them.

It is why when a child is sharing for the first times to listen. Encourage the conversation even if you have done it a hundred times.



I learnt this skill as a student supervisor of counsellors, social workers and others in the field. The student needed the first experience of learning a new skill. Yes for me I had done so much so many times. Active listening and validating.

A good friend listens to the story. An acquaintance can become a friend by just listening and validating those positive experiences.

Anything you can do I can do better is not said aloud but it is implied when someone jumps in with a better one up!

It is why sometimes I do not want to share anything unless it is to very close people that care. When I am listening to their stories to remember to listen and not jump in!

Yes it is always a struggle to practice what you preach!

How about you? Any thoughts! Stories to share! Are you a good listener?

#anythingyoucandoIcandobetter#activelistening#rememberingtovalidateothers#agoodfriendtrulylistens#teachingotherstheskillofactivelistening#itisastruggletobeanactivelistener#reflectivthoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro


1 comment:

  1. Totally agree. As I get older I have lost interest in the “I have done it all” people. They lose my interest, it is the first time people that capture me as an audience. Take care 🤗

    ReplyDelete