Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, June 2, 2020

AN ANGRY VOICE OR DEFIANT VOICE AGAINST RACISM

Okay. The talk right now is the injustice of racism.

I get it. I grew up in the sixties and listened and watched marches and riots.

I heard the words of Martin Luther King and wept when he was killed April 4, 1968.

Trying hard all my life to treat others with equality. Well the way I want to be treated.

Have I experienced discrimination? Yup! Have I experienced reverse racism? Yup.

Do I let it stop me from treating others fairly? Nope.

We all have some prejudice thoughts and say things sometimes that are not politically correct.

Okay no one is perfect!!

It is what we do with all our feelings and thoughts. Back to treating everyone fairly.

I do not like criminals that hurt others regardless of colour. I do not like what happens in Toronto and the GTA with gang killings of innocent people. I feel for the families.



Just to be angry and yell and accuse gets an audience until the speech is finished.

Peaceful protests. Not riots and looting and burning.

Speaking with a voice of calm defiance gets heard.

Who do you admire when a speech is delivered?

For me-
Obama. Barack and Michelle- she is wonderful
The Queen.
Martin Luther King.
Ghandi
A well delivered sermon.
Greta.
Mahala.
Brian Mulroney
Lester B. Pearson
Lisa La Flamme- a voice of calm.
Christine Lagarde

I remember speeches that had meaning. Of course if I were to think deeply there are many other  people that would come to mind.

When speaking against racism, speak from the heart. Every child should be able to walk down the street without fear. Every adult should be able to do the same thing.

Every parent that loses a child weeps.

Respecting our police force by being a community that is worth protecting. Do not commit crimes!!

Dealing with racism means constantly checking one's own views and feelings and thoughts. It starts with one. Me. You.

Learn to listen. Observe. Reserve judgement- it is a hard one. Act and protect others when necessary.
Speak up.

Racism reels its ugly head too often. Like Medusa, we can cut off one head but another grows. It is constant work.

Any anger I have about the events have turned to sadness. Sad for Mr. Floyd's family. Sad for the city. Sad for the community. Sad for all of us. Shame on us- we should know better.

What are your thoughts about recent events? How do you feel?
#angerturnstodefiance#racismreelsitsuglyhead#listeningtothewisdomofothers#checkingone'sprejudicethoughts#treatingothersfairly#beingpartofthesolutionnottheproblem#racismandmedusa#speakupandbepartofthesolution#listeningtoothers#respectingallpeople#peacefulprotestsnotriots#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro


No comments:

Post a Comment