Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, November 3, 2019

BARB'S GENEALOGY TIDBITS- SHARING WITH GRANDCHILDREN

I learnt from my children that too much genealogical talk made their eyes glaze over.
So sharing with grandchildren must be interesting. Or their eyes with glaze over too.

They like to use my computer and work area when they visit or sleep over at Nana and Grandpa's house.
So on a little picture rack I have some photos of ancestors.

I also have a simple draft working family tree.
What works is the visual?

For example, here is a picture of your gggrandfather Ernie who fought in World War One. Will you be having Remembrance Day services at school? Would you like me to copy a picture for you?
Simple.

I showed them the tree and see how many people they belong to??
Simple.

Short conversations. Not too much information at any given time.

The longer stories that are being written pieces at a time are full of pictures and documents. Less writing and more visual. But all the facts with cited sources.
Those stories will go into their memory boxes- 6 copies for my 6!!

One of my main goals is help to develop an interest in history!! That is a harder sell!!
#sharingwithgrandchildrenaboutfamilyhistory#usingvisualstosharestories#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro#barb'sgenealogytidbits#familytree#worldwarone#writingupthefamilystories

No comments:

Post a Comment