Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, February 19, 2014

NANA SAYS COUPLES SHOULD EXPERIENCE THE BIRTH OF THEIR BABY FIRST

How many people should be in the Labour room? This question gets debated. There are some people that want many family members present at the birth of the baby. I have my views. Firstly, it is the couple's experience at becoming parents. They are going from 2 to 3 or welcoming additional children to the family. Secondly, if there are any complications-well family members are briskly asked to leave. In most Birthing Centers there are nice waiting rooms for family to wait. After the event as many family members as wanted can see the newborn fairly soon after birth. My children wanted their special moment and it was just fine with me. I saw all my grandchildren quite soon after birth. It allowed my children and spouses to be with their child alone. Besides there are years to come in enjoying the grandchildren. Extended family is a great support team. Allowing new parents a chance to discover their baby is vital. I know in some cultures the baby is passed to the mother-in-law to be in charge. Personally I do not agree. The baby needs the parents first and the support team second! Over time let the child decide to love all the folks in his/her life. Women's bodies have not changed. So the whole birthing process is individual. Yes there can be difficult births as that has not changed either. Letting the care team do what they have to do without interference is critical to both patients-the Mom and baby! Yes have those cameras ready for those first pictures-no problem. So what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment