Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, February 4, 2014

IS HAPPINESS A STATE OF MIND?

I found an interesting quote on one of those inspirational lists-"Most people will be about as happy, as they decide to be." Too preachy for you? Actually, I think it holds true. Many days if I put on my game face and a smile greeting others with some joy I actually feel positive and well happy. No I do not have all the things I would like at this stage of my life, but I do have many things and especially people that help me to be happy. You noticed I did not say they make me happy. No one can make you feel anything. You chose to feel. Events can stir up feelings but you feel the feeling. Happiness is a state of mind then! Be careful though happy people can annoy the hell out of others who chose to be miserable and complain about their lot in life. Happy people are not necessarily the ones with the most money, best looks and well things-the biggest house etc. For example, Monday is a stressful work day. Coming off the weekend most people are not ready for Monday. I am one of them. However, I have been unemployed several times in my career after being laid off. So anytime I feel-oh it's Monday- I remember the horrible feeling of watching others going to work when I was looking for a job!! Put a skip in my step and remember the day can be bring joy or perhaps just work but like other events the day will end and home again to do my stuff!! So can we chose to be happy! Yes! Finding people and things and activities that put a smile on our faces. Seeing the silver lining in the clouds. For me lately with the never ending winter, I keep saying we are one day closer to Spring. Then I grab my shovel and go outside to clear the driveway and use the winter snow for some much needed exercise, finding the winter not to be so bad. Honestly though I do not always feel happy but I chose not to dump my negative feelings on others!

No comments:

Post a Comment