Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, June 30, 2024

EDMONTON OILERS GAVE US SOME RENEWED CANADIAN PASSION

 Okay I am a Maple Leaf fan. I remember the 1967 win well.

I remember Canada beating Russia in 1972.

I watch Canadians at the Olympics. I just love it when Canada and Canadians do well.

So for the Edmonton Oilers to make a comeback and force Game 7 was incredible and made me proud as a Canadian. Those Edmonton fans- well the singing of O Canada still rings in my ears. So much pride.

Seeing Connor McDavid wait for all his team mates to leave the ice was such a leadership move. 

What I don't like is the way American media has dissed him. Then the trollers on social media- get a life.



So he didn't return to ice to get his Conn Symthe trophy! Did you really think he needed to hear booing from Panther fans. I think not.

The team already won with their comeback. Well they lost by one goal. They did not win the Stanley Cup but they have kept the hearts of Canadians beating coast to coast. Many of those Canadians do support other teams but having a Canadian team made us just support the Oilers for their run.

Do we realize the margin between winning and losing is so slim?

Basketball- one simple basket in a game of many.

Swimming, running, bobsledding etc Often by fractions of a second between winner and second place.

I think Social Media has it advantages. But it allows for some garbage, hate and putdowns of good people.

What I find rather disgusting is when hockey commenters or other sports guys who do not play sports and could not go out and give it their all, put down the players. It is one thing to talk about the skills but to put down people, well is it really okay?

Bullying, name calling is not tolerated in schools anymore. But it seems if you have a microphone and a media presence garbage can come out or your mouth.

The Panthers had several Canadian players and one is from York Region.

Well so is Connor McDavid. And his folks are still here. 

I have two grandsons in local hockey leagues. So I have this renewed interest in the sport. I would hope that criticism of them would be meaningful and not poisonous. 

Hockey players and all sports figures have families, friends and well personalities. They have emotions and feelings like anyone. To say they have to be tough enough to take it. Okay but not hate, spite and outright jealousy.  

Perhaps the best thing is to keep your social media accounts private and do not read the hateful stuff. 

So I hope the Oilers know and the whole team as well as all the support people around them that Canada was and still is proud of them. Stanley Cup or not. You gave us great hockey. You gave us your all. And for that I say thank you.

#edmontonoilers#oilers#oilersfans#edmontonalberta#alberta#oilersmadeacomeback#connormcdavid#stanleycup#theylostbysuchasmallmargin#socialmediacanhavesomerealgarbage#panthers#grandsonsinhockey#canadaisproudoftheoilers#canadianslovesports#ocanadasungbyoilersfanswasamazing#sportscommenterscantalkshadetoomuch#sportscommentersshouldsticktotheskillsandnotthepersonalitiesofplayers#okaynottobehappyaboutthelossfortheoilers#reflectivethoughtsbybarbaradimambro#barbaradimambro#richmondhillontariocanada#richmondhill

No comments:

Post a Comment