Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, December 19, 2020

CANADIAN CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS

 Everyone likes to talk about their traditions. 

I have always taken many things I do at Christmas for granted. 

So what are my Canadian Christmas traditions.

Family. Being with family. Connecting with family.

Christmas lights outside. Some people make amazing displays. Others a string of lights or two. This year I put my lights in my living room window so it is easier to turn off with my convenient switch. Then some solar lights in the garden that need no work.

Christmas Cards. Always loved the way my mother would find a spot for the cards. So I do the same now. I have a large Christmas Stocking with pockets in my doorway to the Family Room. Yes I still send cards and love to receive them. I love the messages in them.

Christmas decorations throughout the house. The variety that people can do is endless.

The Christmas Tree whether real or artificial. With saved decorations. One of my favourite is the little angel my daughter made in Kindergarten. 


Presents for family near and far.

Stockings for Santa's gifts. In my childhood It was a real silk stocking from my mother. We would get a large delicious apple and big orange along with little Santa gifts. The big Santa gift would be beside the stocking. I loved buying all the little stocking stuffers for the girls when they were little. Often along with fun stuff, new socks and underwear.

Lots of goodies in the house during December.

The music. Radio or CDs. My favourite- Oh come all ye faithful

And oh the movies. A Christmas Carol. Miracle on 34thstreet. It's a Wonderful Life. My modern favourite is Love Actually. Now there are lots of cheesy Christmas movies on TV. Like the Hallmark ones.

Loving some snow and walking in it. With children around making snow angels or a snowman. 

Local charities- food bank, toy drives and others. Canadians are very giving and generous. Toys are given to those needy children. Not just Christians.

We included Adolph's Italian tradition of a seafood dinner Christmas Eve. Lots of seafood dishes.

Christmas day the big turkey dinner with all the trimmings- bread stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas, corn, brussel sprouts. In my childhood, turnip. But now I have sweet potatoes and squash usually acorn. Desserts have varied through the years. My Mom would make a plum pudding with real rum sauce. I used to bake but now depend on the girls bringing desserts. So yule log, cookies and lots of other goodies. Vanilla ice cream to add to the dessert table.

A festive Christmas table.



My parents often invited someone who had nowhere to go over Christmas. Over the years Adolph and I had his and my extended family and others. His brother alone would be bring 5 extra people to the table.
Now it is just our kids and grandchildren.

There may be some phone calls on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or Boxing Day.

Ways to connect. Now everybody has some new traditions. Posting on Facebook for days with Merry Christmas to everyone. 

So Canadian traditions are abundant. Different regions may have a different one or two. 

I like making place names so this year is no different.


Stars for some. Trees for others. And on the back 2020 to show the year.

What are your traditions? Do you have some from your childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment