Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, February 22, 2020

BOOMER BARBARA ROCKS RETIREMENT-DOWNSIZING DILEMMAS

Over the last couple of years, I have been purging on my way to downsizing one day.

I just read two more articles on tips for downsizing today. Yeah same old tips.It often reads like bad boomers for having too much stuff.

Along with family members, I did help clean out my parents' home. So I know the work involved.

The younger generation will not want my stuff or your stuff so we are told.

But I am a believer in history. What is old sometimes becomes new again?

Little trinkets from ancestors may become treasures to someone.

Okay no one wants a house full of stuff but a few little things may be important to someone.

Photos usually are a keeper. But lots of albums, maybe not. So this boomer does scan and save and often posts those photos on Facebook, or email to family members.

If writing a family story, includes those photos in the story lines. Then others have copies but not the originals.

I have boxes of letters to review and perhaps share with family members in time.

Many household items have been downsized already.

I am reviewing my genealogical resources and have already donated to the History room at my local library.

I have made 6 storage boxes to put stuff in for well my 6 grandchildren of little trinkets, photos, memorabilia etc. This way my daughters do not have to sort all my stuff after my death. Nana has given things to my little pumpkins already. However, the boxes need some much needed organization. Right now I have put stuff there. They are manageable boxes so not a lot can be put into them so they do not become another place to throw stuff.

Some furniture items are gone already. I am still looking for homes for other things I know I will not move.

As we all know stuff does have an emotional attachment. It was accumulated for one reason or another. Sometimes just because we have room for it. Easier to put somewhere than get rid of it.

So this boomer will plod away. Hopefully some of my stuff can be sold. Or maybe a family member will want it.
#downsizingisemotional#accumulatingtakesalifetime#willanyonewantmystuff#whattokeepforthegrandchildren#photosareakeeper#photoalbums#takingtimetopurge#downsizingdilemmas#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro


No comments:

Post a Comment