Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, June 3, 2016

ADULT LEARNING IS LIFELONG LEARNING

Professionals have expectations from their Colleges to continue learning in their discipline. The requirements can vary on what counts as the bottom line. Sometimes the number of hours or courses or articles read can all contribute to the annual review. Sporadic audits can occur so one must keep all documentation of learning for at least 7 years- like taxes! As a professional ages, there seems to be less new ideas to incorporate so often it is revisiting old themes and ideas. Nearer retirement it can be a challenge to make sure one's college is happy. Older workers often find younger colleagues wondering why they should bother. But if given an Education Day like I am given at my workplace, why not use it to help fulfill the professional designation. So today off to an all day workshop in one of my work areas. A day away from the regular work to meet others in my discipline of Social Work. What is refreshing is the fact that we all speak the same professional language. Health care is challenging enough but to face daily questioning on what is being done and why can be well- boring. Social Work is a profession with training. Many people often say I could be a Social Worker/therapist/counsellor! Why? "I can give advice and talk to people!" See what I mean- more clinical depth and knowledge and understanding than the superficial understanding of the work. So at a workshop where other professionals just get it! And maybe an idea or theme to incorporate in my decades of knowledge and experience!

1 comment: