Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, November 10, 2015

WRITE THE CANADIAN TROOPS 2015

Not only attending Remembrance Day services, it is a time of year to think about our Armed Forces serving in various parts of the world and Canada. My tradition is to write a fun Christmas letter to send to the men and women serving. Since I do not know one personally it must be addressed Any Canadian Armed Forces Member. No parcels- just letters or postcards. So on red or green paper with a little Christmas sticker or two the composed one page letters are printed. Folded and addressed with some tape to keep them closed but allowing for the Belleville post office to have a peak to see it is just a letter. Addressed 17 last night so will be in the mail today. I used to send some small parcels but after September 11th it was not allowed- just notes from non-family. You can find the addresses in the National Defence website or just use the email address to send Morale Mail to the troops. Some years I may get a response from someone. I have a binder with my special letters. Maybe one day I will share some of those poignant responses. I never know if my little letter touches anyone. I hope along with school children and others the various locations fill a wall with such letters, notes and Christmas cards. So like a garden each flower adds to the overall appearance. Letting people know we are thinking of them, especially those serving away from home at Christmas is such an easy, small gesture out of the busy Christmas planning. I have been doing this since 1991!! Supporting our troops is such a Canadian thing to do, eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment