Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, November 29, 2015

THE CANADIAN CHURCH BAZAAR

One of my Christmas goals this year was to go to as many church bazaars as possible. So far I have attended 5 such events. The work that the groups at the various churches do is so noticeable. The bake table full of seasonal goodies. Cookies, banana bread, pies, muffins and more all neatly wrapped in festive seasonal paper. The White Elephant tables full of misc items that often could be found at a garage sale but here they are. Some people try to bargain. I usually just give the asked price and if possible- tell them to keep the change if it is close to the $20.00 bill given. The crafts- often knit or crochet wear, Christmas ornaments,stockings, table arrangements are some of the items for sale. A used book, CD or video/DVD table.  Used jewellery and sometimes clothes.A tea room offering well tea or coffee with some goodies to eat. One offered a Spud lunch for part of the day. The lunch out can be something that is fun. What is noticeable are the Christian women and men and youth working as volunteers to raise money for their churches or the various functions they do for the community. Many local churches put together food hampers for the needy in their community along with supporting overseas occurrences. A couple of churches are part of the OUT OF THE COLD program for the homeless in the GTA. One night during the week the church is open to those needing shelter or just to get out of the cold. Along with baked goods from each event, I have bought a baby knit sweater and hat and mitts, a real silver creamer-$2.00 and some collector dolls ranging from $2.00 to $5.00. It is a good thing I have walked to most of them. The churches mid town are a good walk for me. It curbed my spending and limited me buying more items I did not need. It also gives me an idea of where to donate household items no longer needed for next year. The church bazaar was part of my childhood. It was always an event that was fun. I would even buy a Christmas present or two with my saved allowance money. I remember my Mom working at our bazaar. One year she bought me a nice pair of shoes. I looked at them and said Mom those are the shoes I donated!  So attending bazaars in the community fulfilled my goal of giving to the people in my community in a small way along with bringing back childhood memories.There are other ways to give too. Coast to Coast churches are having special Christmas functions in their communities. So be part of your own church function but try to attend others. There is life outside the Mall or online shopping. It worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment