Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, August 31, 2014

LANGSTAFF SECONDARY SCHOOL THORNHILL ONTARIO CANADA- 50 YEARS YOUNG!

50 years ago I started High School at Langstaff Secondary School in Thornhill, Ontario Canada. September 1964 was the first year of the school. So I attended the first Grand 9 and became one of many who completed the first 5 years from Grade 9 to Grade 13 graduating class. There was the 5 year Arts and Science stream, the 4 Year Arts and Science stream as well as many business courses for those who would need typing, shorthand and other skills. We had to take 9 subjects each term with exams. Physical Education was a required subject. There were sports and extra curricular activities. The first year only went up to Grade 12 as students from other High Schools did not want to transfer to the new school. Students in the grades from 10 to 12 came from Richmond Hill High School and Thornhill High School. Many people did not like to have to transfer so there was a mixed feeling in the school. Mary Ellen McChestney was our very first Prom Queen as well as the Captain of the Cheerleading Squad. She actually went on to become a teacher many years later at Langstaff. Why the Langstaff name? Actually it is a prominent name for the Richmond Hill-Thornhill area? There were many generations. On one of my photo shoots, I found  a Langstaff that served in the War of 1812.
The tombstone is located in the Presbyterian Cemetery in Richmond Hill Ontario. I enjoyed my High Schools. Met my husband Adolph there who, yes was my High School sweetheart. Made good friends and loved school and most of my teachers. As the school celebrates the 50th anniversary, I urge others who attended to tell their tales to the modern generation. The Langstaff name is a proud Canadian name. Who out there attended Langstaff? Please comment on this post if able. I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment