Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Saturday, July 13, 2024

BARB'S GENEALOGY TIDBITS- WHY IT IS GOOD TO WRITE YOUR FAMILY STORY

 I feel good about the fact several family members have comprehensive stories about them.

My parents, my stepdad, my in-laws and my husband, Adolph.

By writing shorter stories and not trying to write a 300 page book on 3000 ancestors is so doable.

Connecting those stories to the comprehensive family trees then becomes a starting point for the living relatives understand their family.

As the family historian, along with research and finding the basic documents, I also have first hand knowledge of these people.

Including stories and sometimes the funny stories makes them come alive.

So if you have not started to write a story begin.

My way I write articles or stories now is to have an ongoing draft. I simply start the story. Then add any new documentation to it. I can edit as I go along. Add references in the bibliographies.

When I feel I have enough of a story, I print a hardcopy. If a new item of interest comes along after printing, then I simply add it as an addendum then I print the addendum to the story rather then adding it and making the need for another printed copy.

However periodically it is a good idea to review those stories. As with everyone more ideas and information may become available.

September will be my time to review my binders of notes and information.

I always keep in mind, what would my grandchildren want to know about their family.

#familyhistory#whyitisagoodideatowriteupyourfamilystories#reflectivethoughtsbybarbaradimambro#barbaradimambro

No comments:

Post a Comment