Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, July 31, 2020

WHAT IS A CAREGIVER- REALLY?

There are paid and unpaid caregivers.

Many different professionals are considered caregivers. A PSW. A Nurse. A babysitter. Workers in care facilities like a Nursing Home. To name a few.

So what is an unpaid caregiver?

Usually one thinks of a family member.

For me caring for my husband did not have a name. So I thought.

About a year ago when I was at the Artist show in Richmond Hill, I was chatting with one of the artists. I mentioned I was retired. Conversation turned to so what are you doing. I mentioned providing lots of care for my ill husband as well as many personal interests.

Her response- oh well you are just a caregiver then! She dismissed any other interests I was pursuing.
Being brushed off as if caring for someone had little value.

Well actually it is like a rainbow with many colours and layers.

One does not sit by the person constantly. One provides what is needed.

Many tasks are normal ones. Doing laundry.  Making meals. Watching TV together. Being there. Chatting.

Depending on the degree of illness some other tasks may be more involved.

For me though care means caring. Loving. Supporting. Being together.

Love not a burden. For better or worse. In sickness and health. One's marriage vows.
Simple really.

Loving someone means everything. Your loved one deserves the best you have to offer.

Anyone who has experienced this journey realizes it is one of life's gifts. Life's honour to be able to care and give to another with your whole heart and being.

Caring for my husband was the easy part. Not having him in my life is the hardest part.
#caregiverwhatdoesitmean#caringandlovingsomeone#caregiverrole#caringislikearainbowwithmanylayersandcolours#doingwhatneedstobedone#reflectivethoughtsbybarbara#barbaradimambro


No comments:

Post a Comment