Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, June 28, 2017

NANA SAYS BREATH-SCHOOL IS OUT

For some parents summer vacations are fun. For many the enrollment at camps began in February. Some dump the kids with relatives, usually grandparents that retired- here is your summer job to care for my kids. Like other grandparents, I take some days here and there to help out. Perhaps one day I will do more, like renting a summer cottage to have some fun. Camping is out for me as it was a thing of my childhood and youth.  But my job entails covering for other Social Workers on their vacations and those on mine. So that's why a few days can be used. If able I would like to take some vacation time with the children and grandchildren with a whole family time together. I like the summer sleepovers too. The local parks are good with splash pads,  a wave pool or the regular pools. Some parks have little beaches so looking forward to exploring with the older grandchildren. The little ones are best at their own homes and own beds to help out the parents. So embracing the school break can be daunting. I remember when my children were in elementary school, September was welcoming with the routine. Finding care and camps and activities for 8-10 weeks was always an added stress. So parents breath, get support from family and each other. Take it a week at a time. A Canadian summer is very short so don't lose sight of the long days using the nights for some outdoor fun. Happy end of school everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, there's much we can do with our children and their children during the summer months. We can watch the grandkids at their sporting events. We can go out for a family dinner or an evening show together. We can take them to local and city playgrounds. We can even enjoy a deck barbecue or a romp in the backyard. Make the most of summer's opportunities.

    ReplyDelete