Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, December 18, 2015

2015 COUNTDOWN TO A CANADIAN CHRISTMAS WEEK SEVEN

With the presents all wrapped, it was time to deliver them. So all the presents to the girls and families so the  grandchildren can have lots under the trees. Empty spaces in parts of the house again. One grandchild had a holiday concert- can't call it a Christmas concert anymore but at least a couple of songs mentioned Christmas. Let my daughter and husband go to their company Christmas dinner! Adolph will be buying the turkey. Potatoes, gravy mix, squashes are bought for next week's dinner. The Pot luck lunch at work was good with a variety of food and desserts. Colleague presents exchanged with each other. My favourite parts of Christmas- driving down streets and seeing the light displays. Going to some high end neighbourhoods with their elaborate displays is fun. I would not want to see the hydro bill. Everyone takes a string of lights or two and makes an unique display! Just the joy of  Christmas lights everywhere! Love it. My most favourite activity with the exception of course of  having loving family is sitting quietly in my family room by my Christmas tree- knitting, watching TV, reading a book or just sitting quietly! It is peaceful and a reminder of my childhood sitting by the Christmas tree with the lights on. Some new traditions that people do- the Elf on the Shelf. Last night at one daughter and son-in-law's house- the elf named Snowball was playing cards. Such a fun and cute idea! Maybe I'll get an elf for next year too! Cards arriving in the mail- fun to hear from everyone and know people are doing well. At work, everywhere one goes in the building, there is food. Staff bringing goodies for each other. Patients and families giving thank you cookies and chocolates. There is a buzz. Seeing people bringing parcels and presents to each other! Trying to make this a special Christmas as plans could include it being the last year in this house! Maybe went a little overboard but whatever when real retirement hits then time to ease up!  Meanwhile my philosophy is to make it the best Christmas I can to create good memories. The joy is just having each other to celebrate together. One week to the big day! Are you ready? Do you have a little Christmas hangover with all the work and preparations involved or are you just flowing with the mood and enjoying? I find myself singing Christmas carols out loud. Just love the music!  Perhaps it is why I sit quietly in my family room because it is a very tiring season!!
So HO HO HO Santa will be coming to town!

No comments:

Post a Comment