Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, December 29, 2014

REMEMBERING WORLD WAR ONE FAMILY MEMBERS-A SPECIAL FAMILY PROJECT

Now that family members have received the "gift" given at Christmas, I want to write about the process reaching it. Last August when World War One was being commemorated- the 100th anniversary of its commencement, I found some Vimy Ridge pins I had bought and thought it would be nice to have some more and give them to my grandchildren. Simultaneously, the Ontario Genealogical Society had a new interest group- descendants of World War One soldiers. It was necessary to provide documentation of how I was related to my ancestor. Even had to order the long form of my birth certificate to prove my relationship to my mother. It took over a month to get my certificate from them and to join that special group. Initially I thought I would copy  the OGS certificate for my children. Another thought occurred to me - there were many family members related to my ancestor too. So I ordered  over 2 dozen Vimy Ridge pins. Devising the certificate layout as well as deciding on the appropriate paper took some revisions. Making a list of relevant family groups and the process was in play. Ernest Adolphus Ellis served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force. He signed up in 1915, serving his country and was a hero at the Canadian Battle at Vimy Ridge- April 1917. I had obtained his war records in 1988 from the National Defence Office of Canada as part of my family history research. Thus the reason to include the Vimy Ridge pins to those family members related to him. The certificates which included grandchildren like myself, great grandchildren and great-great- grandchildren were done. To have information to go with the certificates, I wrote a short article to submit to the Durham Genealogical Society as well as include copies with the gifts.  Then further thoughts occurred to me- what about my step grandfather- Ellerington Park. Discreetly asking my brother Reed through an email- what did he know about his war efforts. Not much. He had some nice pictures though and scanned sending them to me which I was able to print for myself. So some Internet research brought some information. However the War records for Britain are managed by Ancestry.ca  would cost money. I did find a war medal card I could use for free online. I did not know he had received any medals.  Being persistent, I kept checking back to the site and fortunately on  the Remembrance Day weekend the site became free and I was able to download his war records. Used one full cartridge of black ink as the documents had been scanned with black edges!! Cut off the edges so I could make copies for a few family members I thought may be interested. If others want that information too, they could ask the relevant family member for it that received the copies. Then another thought- my husband Adolph lost a grandfather in World War One. So I emailed one of his Italian cousins for information. He gave me his father's email who provided a couple of Italian links that had information about fallen soldiers or in Italian called Soldati Caduti. Adolph's grandfather Antonio Di Mambro had died one week before the end of the war in 1918. I did try to find information on him but  only found information about his regiment. His brother Raffele was on the list of the Fallen soldiers but I could not find Antonio's name. Adolph's great grandmother lost two sons in the war. His father really did not know his Dad. His Nonna Maria was a widow in her early twenties with three young children. What was funny about the Italian research was the fact that the soldiers actually had those handle bar moustaches often characterized in skits or cartoons about the Italians in the war. I always thought it was just a joke but apparently not!!  So made those certificates for my family members. I have been researching the World War One site in the National Archives for any uncles or other related Canadian family members to no avail- yet. So some family members received more than one certificate depending on their connections to the War.  So what did I accomplish- well it was fun and enjoyable to discover how my clan has connections with a Canadian, a Scotsman and an Italian that served in an International event that is being remembered today. So any time a clip is shown about the war, we should all take a closer look as it could be one of our family.  It was also very poignant to know that those men served their countries and their efforts have contributed to the lives we have today. To remember them occasionally and honour their efforts made for us can make us proud to have them in our family histories. Letting our children and grandchildren know about them is important too. Thus I hoped my small contribution towards it by having those certificates to put in their albums would be a visual reminder. Family history research is a passion for me in case you did not know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment