Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, March 6, 2015

SOCIAL WORKERS KNOW WHAT TO SAY

And what not  to say! Counselling skills come with training and practice and more practice. Reflecting and identifying the person's concerns takes more than just saying the right thing. There are moments where honouring the person means so much to that person. Families of sick people take very long and painful journeys to care for their loved one. One comment I often make to such family members go like this. " I can tell there is a lot of love in the room." " You have been a loving and caring daughter/son!" Recently I said " what an amazing wife you have been!" Often no one ever tells the family member who has had a tremendously hard journey with a person they are losing all their care was noticed. Everything they have been doing matters. For me one memory I have, is when my father-in-law was dying in his last hours, two different nurses commented on the skin care that my mother-in-law had done on his body. Joe had endured ALS for 7 years and the last 3 he had been bedridden in diapers. A very difficult feat to maintain to have good skin care. I use those comments from those nurses when I do my End of Life talk to nursing mentorship. Those brief positive comments make a difference. A few days before my mother-in-law died I let her know I would tell her great grandchildren about her. As you see I still mention the wonderful care she provided for her spouse. So when I meet and deal with families who have experienced these painful journeys, I have clinical awareness as well as personal awareness of the long days that turned into years. So what's my point! You do not have to be a Social Worker to notice people around you dealing with a tough situation. Perhaps an elderly neighbour caring for a spouse with dementia- take some time to talk and support the person. A friend with a family member dealing with a life threatening disease- call, send some chocolates or just hold a hand and listen. 5 minutes, 20 minutes, a takeout coffee or just remembering means so much to those people. If you are dealing with such situations, do not say no if someone offers to do something. Let people into your world to assist and give support. Often we do not know what we need. So from one Social Worker to others- Happy Social Work Week! To people whose lives I have touched, it has been my honour to be for you in your time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment