Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, September 23, 2014

OUR STUFF TELLS A TALE ABOUT US

How we decorate our homes can be symbolic of who we are! Wanting the latest colours in paint with contrasting edges of a suitable colour! Furniture that reflects our exquisite taste! Dishes that are modern and trendy- most young people like white and white and white, sometimes with trim of silver or gold! Even our favourite mug can tell a tale about us. We are told if selling a house- don't have any family or personal pictures because the buyer will be turned off! Hum-my house is full of tables and some walls with family photos! Difficult to live in a home for decades without making it personal and well- homey! Our collections can be indicative of taste. The things we like can have emotional connections. My Canadiana antiques and jugs and crocks help me connect to an earlier time in our history. Besides I always saw them as functional investments. Use the furniture as furniture then sell again at the new price. My dining room set is from Grosse Pointe Michigan area- Thomasville style that is still made today. So marketable! My love of elephants comes out in  knick knacks and pictures in various locations in my home. Surrounding ourselves with things we love rather than what is trendy or thought to be more sophisticated keeps us real. Using things that work for us. Like my computer. I know everyone likes the lap top but I bought a good large system with a large monitor and mouse that works in my computer room. I did not want a computer I could take everywhere because I like to contain my writing mess to a one stop place in the house. My next computer system will be a lap top if I downsize as the space will be smaller. So what's my point- have and use things that work for you and give you meaning! Yes there is trendy and new and but not always sophisticated! What if your goal is homey and comfy? Buying some original art from struggling artists may give another positive investment and make your home comfy! Our things, our stuff! What tale does your stuff tell about your?

No comments:

Post a Comment