Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Friday, April 18, 2014

THE EASTER LILY-SYMBOL OF HOPE

The Easter Lilly is such an iconic symbol and a must for any home this time of year. As flowers go, it brings beauty and hope. I like to think some flowers are happy! And this is one of them! As we celebrate the Easter message of renewal and the Resurrection, being with family makes it more meaningful. Having one or more Easter Lilies around us add depth to the message.
There are stories of how the Lilly became part of our tradition. Lilies were found growing in the Garden of Gethsemane after Christ's death. Or were they from his sweat during his last hours on this earth? Or were they connected with the Virgin May when Gabriel gave her some to let her know she was to be the mother of Jesus? Even the story after the Virgin Mary died, that all that was in her tomb were white lilies is meaningful.
Lilies have been in many stories or legends. The Romans said Juno-the queen of the gods was nursing Hercules and when her milk spilled to the earth, lilies grew from the spot. I like the stories connected to the flower. I can not recall the first time the lily made its way to my home. I just know it would not be Easter without at least one during our celebrations. Joyous and hopeful, tell me doesn't it belong to everyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment