Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, October 7, 2014

DON'T LOOK TOO FAR DOWN THE ROAD

Planning and having goals in life are important. Being aware of pitfalls in financial and retirement planning are thrown at us constantly. In my work, however, when someone has received a poor diagnosis, these rules of life change. Putting affairs in order if they are not already done can be important. Then suggesting- don't look too far down the road! People want to know if they will be cured, is there a time frame- well you get the picture. Living for today and planning for tomorrow's appointment become the new norm. Going for treatment and waiting for results are part of  a new life. But having a big party and events that bring meaning are equally important too. How does one want to spend the rest of his/her life? So does this advice hold true for most of us every day! Yes would be my answer. Do you know how often I hear someone in their 30s saying- I can't wait until I retire! I can't wait until the children are older! Do they not realize he/she will be 20-30 years older? Really, one wants to be 20 years older!! Now! Today! I wanted my littlest grandchild not to hurry and get older! Staying a baby just a little bit longer would be my preference! She has insisted on crawling and wanting to grow- go figure! Another reason not to look too far down the road in life- do we all really want to know what waits for us? If we all knew how much time we have in life, would we use it well anyway? Or would we just fret and fret some more! I like preparing for events by being methodical.  clean one room at a time. Food organized. But I also like to live each day. Put meaning in it. And don't look too far down the road! Remember you could miss what is right beside you and it could be a missed opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment