Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, May 9, 2016

2000 AND COUNTING- A CANADIAN BLOGGER

Since July 2010 I have been a blogger for my blog- Reflective Thoughts by Barbara. Initially I would struggle with trying to think of ideas or themes. For many who read my blog, you know there is Nana Says, A Postcard From, whimsical, photo journalism, day trips, photo shoots, Canadian themes, genealogy,clinical themes and sometimes just a thought for the day. Trying to post every day is such an integral part of me now that when I can not do to other commitments or being away from the home computer I feel like my exercise for the day is missing. Ideas come in a variety of ways- time of year, example if Christmas try to throw those ideas, the month and what it brings, news items like the current fire in Alberta, social work knowledge, craft knowledge, struggles people have with life, honouring ideas and work of others- it is reflective of the world around me as I know it. I once learnt to write about what one knows and not to be an expert on every subject. So learning about other ideas from the wide range of experts makes the sky the limit. I would also like to acknowledge those regular readers like Roy and Edna, some old classmates, family and friends across Canada, USA and Italy as well as strangers who have joined my google circle due to a post or two they enjoyed. I manage my husband's blog http://granpalovestocook.blogspot.com.  From his recipes and blogs, we now have a draft 1 of many drafts of a cookbook with that name. 85 plus pages of recipes and picutres. The colour pages may make it a little expensive to publish as is. The girls have copies so reviewing, revising and rewriting before I try to self publish it to bring to a broader audience. So even some of his cooking and food themes have made their way to my blog with the intention of that larger project. I even have ideas for Volume 2 and Volume 3 of his cooking ideas, themes and adventures.  So how to continue and bring new ideas. One thought for me was to visit some of my better posts and well repost them.Ideas get archived so anyone new coming to the blog would not go back and read let's say from 5 years ago. I have learnt too that the posts with many creative ideas and thoughts may have fewer readers than a pictorial one. My tulips posts from the last two years brings in lots of readers. Like little children many people just like pictures with a short caption. Although I take lots of pictures, I enjoy my photography ventures looking for big and small ideas. A doorway. One flower. A street. All can be used at some time to be a backdrop for a post. Some days I look through my photo files and one photo will jolt an idea for me to use along with it.Sometimes I just sit in front of the computer and say to myself, well what will you write today! What this blog has done for me is give an opportunity to write. Some days good, some days maybe the idea is so-so, some days my readers may skip all together! I love that I can check where in the world my blog reaches! When it is a new location like Botswana the other day, I am always curious about what post brought that reader to my site. With the zillions of sites on the Internet it never ceases to amaze me that my posts are read by such a variety of people and in many different locations. Although I will put a post on my Facebook page, few friends actually read my blog! Again, if a picture is posted lots of likes but a creative, intellectual ides not really. I will be reviewing how to expand my readership. Thanks to google there are lots of ideas from them how to reach a broader audience! So when I am stuck I turn to the experts for ideas on how to keep going. I have thought about a youtube connection with this blog. However, millions of hits with dancing dogs or babies has made everyone one hit wonders. Unless it seemed really creative and needed I have avoided that adventure. For now anyway! I have a new video camera that must be put to use, so who knows maybe I will film something worth putting there. So do what you know! My mantra! My variety of interests and experiences do help with trying to be interesting and not redundant, although at times I do feel that way. 2000 posts- hard to believe! Short ones, long ones, adventures, pictorial ones! It has been fun and hopefully will continue to allow me to challenge myselft every day with a thought or two. Glad you have come along for the ride or should I say the read. Oh, do try to comment as much as possible! I love feedback! So tomorrow will be another day! What will I post?

1 comment:

  1. with a Flickr account, you can post videos ... I posted a short video of Holly and Mollie years ago that I now treasure

    ReplyDelete