Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, July 27, 2016

NANA SAYS IT'S FUN TO OBSERVE IN SOCIAL SITUATIONS

Taking children to events and watching how others react to various scenarios is interesting. At an adult event and finding those adults with less attention and social skills than young children does not surprise me. Going to Jazz in the Plaza Tuesday nights- a fun two hour outdoor event with rows of chairs, some table and chairs while others bring their own chairs gives time to observe the behaviour of about 200 people. Arriving early, I secure a chair and a spot where I can see the group. Made the mistake one week of sitting behind two big heads so every time I moved my head to try to see the person in front of me moved too. Found another spot at break time.
So the people that arrive 20 minutes late expect those with an empty chair beside them to move over for them. One big woman with a man with a walker and another walking with a cane was very disruptive. The gentleman would not move over for her in the middle of the row so she nudged two other women to move over. Stayed there for 2 minutes then eyed a chair on the edge and left to position herself near the front, plowing through a row there and brought her two people. After a 15 minute break when the group had started again, she gets up, walks across the front to go to get drinks for her people, of course walking across the front and disrupting the group playing! I'll watch out for her next week.
Then the guy with the big dog who comes half way through the night, parks himself and dog next to me, pulls out his book to read. Loves the attention his dog receives by some but does not notice how many people avoid going by him. Hardly listening to the Jazz. Others bring their dogs too. Last there were barking dogs, at least this time no barking!
One couple come after break with their big stroller with two children blocking some people behind them. The Dad feeds the toddler while the mother goes for ice cream. Between each spoon he is checking his cell phone. Then of course, they have the children dancing to the music and looking around to see if everyone is as excited about their two children as they are.Why didn't they sit at the back where they would not block anyone?
The majority of the audience sat in their seats, clapped and enjoyed the music. There are some attendees who know each other and exchanged hugs. But all the moving around by some, the getting up and down was quite disruptive.
Is it because it is an outdoors event? I was glad I did not have my grandchildren. They would have been telling me that some people are rude Nana. Why does that lady think she can arrive late and rearrange people to her liking? Of course my oldest granddaughter would say I will not move.
I enjoyed the music but more being by myself to listen and observe. Perhaps I should make an observation sheet and do a little psychological study of the behaviour exhibited.
There is something about buying a ticket and the seat assigned is yours for the event. Maybe next time I'll bring my own chair!
Yes the Jazz is good and fun to be at an event in the summer time!

1 comment:

  1. people watching can be fun ... even if they're annoying sometimes ...

    ReplyDelete