Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, May 22, 2016

A POSTCARD FROM ROME ITALY

Celebrating a big anniversary, it made me reflect on other anniversaries. For our 25th anniversary May 1996, Adolph and I visited Rome for the week as well as one side trip. It was our second time in Rome! We came back again to Italy in 1997.What is wonderful about a large city like Rome is there is always something to see. Revisiting sites seen on other trips is always a must too.



The Vatican! Visited each time we went to Rome. We have been in the Vatican as well visited the Vatican Musuem. The Sistine Chapel of course is a must for every tourist under the sun.
The Trevi Fountain! And a lovely card from our daughter when she visited Italy.



Images around Rome. We had many adventures on a simple week's trip.

The next antedote is one of my favourite stories of all time. Although it has been written in an earlier post years ago, I thought I would rewrite it again. Usually brings a chuckle to everyone! Written in May 1996!Adlph's cousin Lillina had found the cheap traveller's hotel for us a couple of kilometres from downtown Rome. After spending a day in Cassino on the first leg of our trip, she brought us to the hotel at night.
" During our recent trip to Rome to celebrate our twenty-fifth anniversary, my husband, Adolph, left our hotel room at his usual holiday hour of 5 in the morning to explore the neighbourhood and get a coffee. After arising at 6 and spending time washing, getting dressed and organizing our room, I started to question where he might by at 7:30. Shortly he returned stating " I got lost". He told me his tale of going to Piazza Unghiere that had many streets converging onto it. He bought a coffee, juice and buns for us then turned taking the wrong street to return to our hotel Porpora Villas. He walked down one street, sipping the coffee and eating one bun then another, wandering down another street realizing he was lost. Finally deciding to ask a Bar owner-like a coffee shop- for directions. In Italian, he stated, I can't find my hotel. The man asked" What is the name of your hotel?" I don't know, replied Adolph. " Okay what is the name of the street?" Adolph replied again, I don't know! The man surveyed him with his arms full of goodies, split coffee, sugar from the bun on his top and looking a little disheveleled. " You don't know the name of the hotel! You don't know the name of the street! Are you sure your hotel isn't that mental Clinic across the street?"

The story was repeated many times by his cousin. I think even today it gets a laugh at family gatherings.
Some of my favourite times in Rome are just walking around and exploring the side streets. Of course the gelato-ice cream at 4 in the afternoon and shopping are divine too!
If you want a postcard featured here, email me at abdm@rogers.com so I can send you my address so you can send me a postcard!


No comments:

Post a Comment