Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, November 1, 2015

A POSTCARD FROM PIER 21 HALIFAX NOVA SCOTIA

On a recent trip to Nova Scotia, my sister-in-law  Edna sent some postcards from Pier 21.
My brother Reed and she were exploring some of the information surrounding the Park landing in Canada. The family actually landed in New Brunswick but the research staff at the Museum were extremely helpful in finding the information they needed.
The Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 is a wonderful place to visit if in Halifax. It is on my bucket list. When the museum first opened, I sent my husband's immigration story which is listed under the Italian immigrants to Canada collection of stories. Along with his family he landed in Halifax June 29, 1959 on the Queen Frederica that had sailed out of Naples Italy.
Perusing the website again, it is full of wonderful pictures and stories. Historian Steve Schwinghamer has written a great summary of some of the Canadian immigration history that pertains to Pier 21.
Between 1928 and 1971 it was known as the gateway for 1,000,000 immigrants. My husband was one of the 45,000 arriving each year. Troops, war brides and others left Canada and arrived through this historic location.

I would recommend for you to visit the website: www.pier21.ca for a closer view and read about this significant Canadian landmark. For students or those searching their family roots, it is a great source of information. You never know some of the pictures they have may include a relative or two. If you have questions you can email the staff that are always so helpful. If you have a story in your family, I would suggest submitting it to be included in the ongoing building of the history of Pier 21 specifically and Canada generally.
So thanks to Edna for sending along these cards!
If you want your story here, email me at abdm@rogers.com for my address so you can send me a postcard!

No comments:

Post a Comment