Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Tuesday, March 10, 2015

GENEALOGY WEEDING CAN BE MORE EXHAUSTING THAN A GARDEN

An exhausting project is to revise and shortlist my genealogy binders. My research has also included my husband's side and other lines. Over 30 years of research can accumulate lots of superfluous information. Currently working on my Ellis binder, there is so much information on the name Ellis that is not related to our clan. What to do with the extra information as I am streamlining the binders to be put in a digital family tree program eventually- not today. There is correspondence from other family historians going back the 30 years but those individuals are not related. Keeping all information on a name however can be useful. Often relooking at that seemingly unrelated data sometimes does reveal a link years later. The handwritten notes from microfische visits at the library are no longer needed for lots of information is easily available as many databases are online. Can be printed by my home printer- not available 30 years ago.  Examples- census tracts, marriage records. If one wants to pay, Ancestry.com includes other databases. Be careful though as lots of information that you pay at Ancestry is available on other links. Besides sharing with a relative or another family history buff can give lots of information as well. The Ellis name is a common English name. Our roots in the Rawcliffe area of England has many William and Elizabeth Ellis from the early 1800s not related directly. Then the Ellis name in York Region from the 1850 era has many family groups too- not related. Fortunately our Ellis- William and Elizabeth parents of Ward Ellis lived in Claremont just east of me with only 2 Ellis names there. So I always feel that if I see a name search in one of the genealogical newsletters where I am a member, perhaps I can help another researcher. So what I have decided to do- streamline the relevant family history with names and descendants of the that person as I have done for years only neater. Make a separate pile then file or place in large envelopes with the abundance of information not directly related. At the Ontario Genealogical Conference in Barrie in May one of the speakers will be discussing the idea of searching one name throughout the world. Nice idea so I will see if what I am doing can be relevant to keeping the family history information simple for other family members. I still like to complete family group charts as the handwritten can always be transcribed to the computer later. Some modern genealogy buffs think it is antiquated and only digital is useful but I like the idea of picking up a binder without the need of electricity and computer. Why not use all methods? Besides too much information on that "Cloud" could be misused!! With scanning and attaching, information can be sent to others as needed so the cost of photocopying that was the norm for decades then mailing has reduced the cost considerably. Scanning can be work but in PJs by the computer much easier than a library visit.  Another major goal is to write short articles on various family lines. A project for Christmas 2014 included writing an article on Ernie Ellis and his role in World War One. I gave it to over 40 family members. So updating then providing short blurbs periodically to family members will be less cumbersome than saying come and scan the tremendous amount of family information. Streamlining will also allow me to think about how to submit to relevant libraries where our ancestors lived so the histories can be more comprehensive. So weeding out like the garden takes methodical work. Hopefully weeds will not grow back. It is amazing how one binder with both maternal and paternal lines has grown into over 15 binders of information. Of course some historical data, maps and interesting antedotes are there too. One binder at a time. Why did I pick the Ellis binder first- it had the most to revise. So as I continue with the largest projects first then to the smallest, the job will get done. Slowly and methodically-just like all the work that occurred over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment