Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Sunday, March 29, 2015

CLEANING IS EASIER THAN WRITING

Preparations are under way for the Easter weekend with some cleaning of the living and dining areas. More to do before it looks pristine. Weekends are short so trying to divide my time between creative projects and regular housework takes lots of energy. No wonder I throw my hands up at times and take a nap. Yesterday proved that more cleaning can be done than writing! No thinking just grit! Writing and sorting notes then rewriting  takes a slower process. Seeing one pile of papers smaller does not look like much has been done. A room however cleaner shows itself differently! And well- smells and feels cleaner. Cleaning is nice when the doors and windows can be open to let in the fresh air. With a wind chill of -20 yesterday, it could not be done. Taking small piles to the garage comes next with the decision- what do I do with that stuff! Detaching emotionally from things is a harder endeavor than imagined. Things bring up memories but like the Ikea ad with the lamp by the curb- it's just a lamp! So with non-consequential things, they are just things! April will be bringing sorting and downsizing stuff in drawers and closets. I promised myself if it has not been worn than to a charity it must go. I do wish I had that item on my bucket list- a cottage because many things would be good at a cottage! Perhaps someone else's cottage will suffice! Spring does bring a bounce in one's step. I actually found I accomplished quite a lot yesterday with even 4 hours of babysitting for three grandchildren squeezed in there. Don't worry I am smarter than you think. The next work week is 3 days- a conference day on the Thursday and Good Friday- a stat day so if I do exhaust myself- only 3 work days which are manageable! But it is like Spring is in the air as I did not have this energy a month ago. The light! The fresh air! The tiredness of winter being over despite the cold lingering outside! Spring with its expectation of renewal, refresh, review and often reflection! Remember with all the work and busy-ness of Spring that one can slide into Summer with its lazy days! So get cracking with the Spring cleaning or cleansing or decluttering or whatever you decide to do. Then those quieter projects like writing can be tackled again! Or reading a good book or going to a movie! Your choice since it is your energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment