Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Thursday, February 26, 2015

RESILIENCY-WHERE DOES IT COME FROM

I have written periodically about resiliency. The dictionary tells us it means readily recovering from shock, depression, otherwise being buoyant-able to keep afloat or rise to the top like a liquid. The question- why do some people have more resiliency than others? Adversity kicks a person in the gut. Not everyone recovers. Some people can become the walking dead. Depressed, drugs, drinking and not recovering. Post-traumatic stress! Clinical depression! Adverse events leave scars but some do find a way to get up and get going again! There are so many sayings- when the going gets tough, the tough get going! So easy to say but harder to do. Allowing a time of grief and reconfiguring let's us move to the next steps in our lives. Resiliency is not for everyone. Sometimes it is easier to retreat and say to hell with the world! People in their middle age laid off from a dream job may never find the dream job again. Divorce, death, health issues are further kicks in the gut. The more adverse events faced, does it become harder to bounce back from them! Sometimes just getting up and putting one foot in front of the other. Going through a week with goals and a purpose to get up in the morning, is that resiliency? Should we judge others if they are not as resilient as we are? Think not! My children tell me I am a happy person- because I chose to be. There have been many areas of my life that have been adverse. Family, business, work, loss of loved ones- but to keep going means pulling deep inside and just do it! When the negative thoughts occur, I picture a bridge and a running river- water under the bridge, hoping it will wash away the bad and perhaps bring some solutions to continue with positive living. But there are days, I like my own quiet and not the negativity of others. Resiliency works better when surrounded by like people. Sometimes for me, just people my own age- but those without all the materialistic goals of the younger crowd and the obsession with having a wrinkle or two and having to look younger! Knowing that life does go on and this too may pass. If it does not, then oh well, just deal with it. Resiliency- a huge topic and lots of thoughts! What do you think? Do you have your own version of resiliency? Can it be as individual as the people in it?

No comments:

Post a Comment