Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Wednesday, December 17, 2014

NANA SAYS IT'S THE SEASON FOR SCHOOL CONCERTS

Well actually my grand children's day care holiday concert was held the other day at 5 pm and today there will be the Kindergarten to Grade 1 concert at the school. The memories of my own elementary school Christmas concerts and my children's is brought to the present moment while watching my grandchildren perform. No real Christmas carols are sung but sometimes songs like Jingle Bells may be heard. Although there are probably more Christian and Jewish children in the school, the multicultural focus must prevail, even though it is the Christmas and Hanukkah season. I do encourage children to say Merry Christmas as I do say happy whatever the season may be for any other culture or faith. Like Holi on March 17 in the Hindu faith, what a fun day. Seeing children perform and having family members in the audience is the important consideration. Including everyone in the season is the Canadian way. Children singing together even if a little off key sometimes does not change. As I sit in the audience, I often wonder where did the time go. It seems just like yesterday it was my girls doing the performing. I think it is good for teachers to have children practice for an event. It keeps the focus on performing and probably helps with the hyper energy this time of year. I could not imagine what it is like to have children in class the week before the Christmas break. So a real structured activity does help immensely. This Nana and Granpa will enjoy the performance. When 3 of the 5 grandchildren have a part, how could we not??

No comments:

Post a Comment