Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, December 15, 2014

DECEMBER AND CHRISTMAS BRING MEMORIES

I realized mid-way through my day yesterday that it was the 14th and not the 15th but left my post as it was. It is always good to check if someone actually read it which of course my cousin Roy did! Sundays can be busy days or days to slow down and putter and relax like they were intended. So being Monday and the real 15th, it brings the start to another work week. Yes 10 days to Christmas and 2 days to Hanukkah!! Some cultures and countries have different Christmas celebrations throughout the month of December. I wonder if there is one for today! I believe my Canadian tradition let's me wait for the day since the shopping is done! Work will bring what it brings. But usually patients and families are more generous this time of year so the chocolates and cookies start to arrive in abundance. "Thank you" is nice but the work is to service our patients so we are not doing anything out of the ordinary. Available 24/7 year round!!  It is tough being in hospital this time of the year for anything. So the best advice is to be careful out there!! Try to stay away if you can!! Yes too much over eating and over drinking is not good for one's health so pace yourself and enjoy! Sometimes in the middle of it all, come the memories of past Christmases. Nothing amazing, just ordinary. Family times with the good, the bad and the ugly but usually happy times. The things that mean the most so those traditions are carried on for this generation. What was the best Christmas? What was the saddest? Which Christmas dinner had the most people? Which had the least? Is there someone missing? A death around Christmas time? I remember the  Christmas I had my first child- a baby born the end of November so little in my arms with a picture by the tree. The fun of "playing Santa" and bringing the magic to Christmas that parents do for the next few years. Memories creep into our consciousness, don't they? Perhaps a huge time for reflection and honouring Christmas past as we celebrate the season of Christmas present! How are you doing with your memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment