Welcome

Inspiration for this blog came from my cousin Roy. His daily reflections of the events in his life have been thoughtful and interesting. Family, friends, colleagues are welcome to read my blog.



Monday, November 10, 2014

CANADIAN LITERATURE-THE GILLER PRIZE

Each  author who has been shortlisted for this important literary event is awarded a monetary prize as well as recognition. There are other contests for poetry, non-fiction and historical fiction during the year. Buying and reading some of the books featured supports Canadian Literature. Of course, E-books and trips to the library can expand  reading of our authors. Belonging to a book club can be fun too!  For now, I try to purchase the Giller shortlist books and some from other events.
The books and authors for this year are:

THE GIRL WHO WAS SATURDAY NIGHT- by Heather O'Neil

TELL- by Frances Itani

ALL MY PUNY SORROWS-by Mirian Toews

US CONDUCTORS- by Sean Michaels

THE BETRAYERS- by David Bezmozgis

THE EVER AFTER PF ASJWOM RA0- by Padma Viswanathan

Did you want to know what the books are containing? Why not look them up on line or go to a bookstore and check them out?
Today, November 10, 2014 the awards will be announced on Canadian TV- CBC I think, used to be another channel. Perhaps you could make it a habit to buy a copy of the winner each year to help support our authors.
 If you know a local author, try to support the efforts. A love of books and literature lasts a lifetime, regardless of how it is read. Reading is necessary for every generation even with all the gadgets used in modern times.
So if you have a favourite book award program, check out the books! Talk about them. Encourage others to read them.
I will be honest, I do not read every book I have ever purchased. They are on my shelves and available to be read when able. So a shortlist book from another year may be on my summer reading list or taken on a trip. Since some of the books over the years has been a collection of short stories, easy read on a long trip. Books do not become stale.
As for non-fiction award programs, there are some interesting and thought provoking books available
too. For example, with the commemoration of the start of World War One there is a new influx of books on Canada's military history.
The Toronto Star books has many books on a variety of themes. I purchased some history books about  Canadian food to use in Adolph's blog.
Of course, books are on my grandchildren's Christmas lists. This Nana has already bought their choices. With online shopping, it is so easy to find all the desired titles. With online catalogues of libraries simplifies a trip to take out a book.  I still prefer to go to a bookstore and browse but with the option of shopping from my computer, makes life easier.
So literature from home or international teaches us so much. If we want the modern generation to have a love of reading, be seen reading. My parents always had books in the home and were readers. My coffee table has coffee table books but they are directed at my grandchildren. One book- a day in the life of the world featuring pictures from May 15, 2012 is a favourite of my granddaughter. There is also a book about animals written at a child's level. I even put an Art book too so they will see some art and begin to get an appreciation.. Read to your children.
So what are you reading? Why? How does it interest you? Literature helps us understand the psyche of a nation and a people. What would I find on your bookshelf? What books have you taken from the Library lately? Reading is good. I am glad that people read my blog. Gives me encouragement to keep on writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment